Monday, July 19, 2010

Mushrooms in White Wine Sauce

Since we have signed up for our delivery of local fruits and veggies, we have taken advantage of trying some new vegetables we would normally never purchase at the store. This week we received a huge portabello mushroom in our box. Now, I've never been a huge fan of mushrooms, they always seem rubbery to me, so I set it aside and ignored it for a few days.

Yesterday I knew I had to do something with it or it was going to go bad, so I pulled out some steaks and decided to make the husband sauteed mushrooms and onions to go on his steak. I went to my favorite site allrecipes and searched for a recipe to try. Mushrooms in White wine sauce sounded like a perfect one to try. I tweaked their recipe a little and Paul loved it. He encouraged me to try a bite and WOW, it was so good, I could actually learn to love mushrooms after this meal.

Mushrooms in White Wine Sauce

Olive oil, just enough to coat skillet
1/3 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
1/2 c water
1/4 c white wine
1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, 1/2 cup water, wine, chicken bouillon and butter. Season with basil, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, reduce liquid by half.'

Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mushrooms-in-White-Wine-Sauce/Detail.aspx

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Umm YUM??? I LOVE mushrooms, this sounds delicious.