Sunday, July 04, 2010

In the Still of the Night

It was around midnight, I lay in bed wide awake, tired but not sleepy, a summer electrical storm was going on outside, lightening was flashing continuously intermixed with large crashes of thunder. It was fascinating and scary all at the same time. Lightening was striking all around the house, the electric was flickering on and off. Then suddenly the electric went entirely out, the only sound that could be heard was the thunder and the strikes of lightening. I lay there watching the lightening, when my husband rolled over put his arm around me and snuggled up close to me, he was sleeping soundly. In this still of the night his breathing and the storm were the only sounds I could hear, it was deathly silent, the soft breathing of my husband was comforting. I realized how glad I was he was there with me, normally such a storm, no electricity and him far away at work would cause me worry and fear, but tonight was different, I felt safe. Then it hit me, why should I worry, I am never really alone, God is always there with me. I knew that while I lay safe in my husband's arms, God's arms were all around both of us, protecting us, and He would be the one staying up watching the storm and listening to us breathing.

Psalms 91
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most high will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you make the Most High your dwelling - even the Lord, who is my refuge - then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

No comments: