Monday, July 19, 2010

Cheesy Acorn Squash

Another new vegetable we've tried recently was acorn squash. While I love squash and zucchini, I've never really tried anything beyond the basic green zucchini and yellow summer squash. So when we received an acorn squash in our food co-op box I was very excited. Hitting allrecipes for inspiration, I came upon Cheesy Acorn Squash.

This was so good, we will be having this dish again tonight for dinner. It was hilarious when I went to the store to purchase more acorn squash, the cashier picked up the squash and asked what it was, I told him and said "oh it's so good too" to which he replied, "oh you eat it? I thought it was a Halloween decoration." On the way home my husband was laughing over this and asking if the cashier really thought we were decorating for Halloween in the middle of July.

Here is my version:

Cheesy Acorn Squash

1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 c onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
6 slices bacon, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1/2 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place squash cut side down in a glass dish. Cook in microwave for 20 minutes on HIGH, until almost tender.
  3. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and onion and garlic; saute until transparent. Stir in bacon; cook 2 to 3 minutes more or until cooked. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parsley. Divide mixture in half, spoon into the squash.
  4. Cook 15 minutes in the preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven. Sprinkle with cheese and put back in the oven until the cheese bubbles.
Enjoy!

Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheesy-Acorn-Squash/Detail.aspx

No comments: