Saturday, September 01, 2007

School and Food Storage

Gosh, I didn't realize it had been almost two months since the last post. School has been keeping me busy, way to busy. Someone asked what I was planning for Labor Day, my answer was "study" UGHH This is the last week, have the Chemistry test on Tuesday and Biology on Wednesday. It looks like I'll end up with a B in Chemistry, I have to get a solid A on this last test to bump it up to an A in the class and I'm not counting on that happening. Biology is a solid A right now, so we'll see how the last test and final turn out. I have two weeks off of school after the tests, I plan on starting Christmas presents and am hoping to get alot of them done before classes start again. Next quarter I'm taking Anatomy and Microbiology, it's a total of 10 credit hours and two labs on Saturdays, I am going to be suffering.



Been doing a little bit of work with the container garden, no where near what I had hoped, but we do have a nice little supply of herbs for the next year. And Paul's mom brought over a ton of tomatoes and zucchini so we'll have fresh tomato sauce for the winter and I dried the zucchini to put in casseroles and soup during the winter. Since my canner is still at dads I had to either freeze the veggies or dehydrate them. Also in the picture is homemade chicken broth. I highly recommend making your own chicken broth, it's easy, tastes so much better and saves money. I buy a whole chicken, usually around $3, boil it with water, onions, and herbs until the chicken is cooked. Then you take the chicken off the bones (very easy) and divide it up into containers for meals, we usually get 3-4 containers of meat. What's left is yummy chicken broth, strain the broth to remove the herbs. I store mine in glass jars which go into the freezer, there is usually 2 big jars worth of chicken broth. You can make homemade chicken soup with this or cook rice and noodles in the broth to give the food a richer flavor. So for a $3 chicken you can make 4 maybe even 5 meals. Oh if you keep the broth in the fridge you do need to use it fairly quickly, it doesn't keep forever in the fridge, that's why I keep ours in the freezer.

The other things we've been working on is our food storage/emergency prepardness kit. Most people don't like to do this, talk about this or even think about it, but emergencies happen and saying well I live in the city I'll be fine is silly. Remember the blackouts a few summers ago in New York, the winter storms that knock out travel and electricity, that can happen no matter where you live. We have a pretty good supply of food put away, with what's in the cabinets and stored upstairs we would be fine for 3-4 weeks, granted we'd eat alot of soup, but we wouldn't starve. Don't forget if you don't have a gas stove you'll need to plan a backup source for cooking. The big thing now I've been working on is water storage. You have to have water, to flush the toilet, to fix food, to give the animals. We need to purchase some big 5 gallon water containers for us for meals and drinking water, but until we do that, I've been washing out (dishwasher to make sure it's clean) juice containers, filling them up with water and putting the cap back on. Water will keep this way for 6 months, so be sure to put a date on the container. It's an easy way to start storing water. Granted you might not want to use it for eating and drinking, but it will be good for washing out clothes, washing yourself and flushing the toilet. Ok enough of my lecture on prepardness.

I'll leave you with a picture of my cutie :) As you can tell on the carpet, he's going through his end of summer shedding. Poor Paul is not enjoying it either. This is a picture of him with his new ball, it's so cute whenever he get a new ball he has to take it with him everywhere, even bed. He's hiding under the table to enjoy the ball.

No comments: