Saturday, August 27, 2005

First Time Canning!


I did it! I canned my own food. It wasn't much, just some dill pickles, but they are so pretty sitting there in their little glass jars. Making something for yourself is very rewarding. I've been wanting to learn to can for awhile, but I didn't get my garden in this year so I thought I wouldn't be able to try canning this year. But, veggies are so cheap right now, I thought well why not just buy some and try it out. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. While I was cleaning up, you could hear the jars sealing with their pings, it was so exciting!

I've also been drying some veggies, have done tomatoes, peppers and onions so far. It's a great feeling to see my food storage start to grow.

Ok, ok, I know this isn't the sarah you know, but things and times change. Welcome to my new world.

P.S. the picture above isn't of my pickles, but I did take pictures of them. Will post them as soon as the roll is developed.

No comments: